It is situated 10
Km. away from Ernakulam and there are frequent buses and ferry
Dutch Palace (Ph : 226085)
palace was built by the Portuguese and presented to the Raja of
Cochin in 1555 A.D. Though built by the Portuguese, it is popularly
known as the 'Dutch Palace' as the Dutch renovated it during their
short lived reign here. The Palace is well known for its mural
paintings which are noted for their high level of excellence. These
paintings represent scenes from the epics Ramayana and Mahabharatha.
The paintings cover a wide range of themes from the 'Puthra
Kameshtiyagam' to Rama's return to Ayodya after vanquishing king
Ravana of Lanka. They cover nearly 300 sq. feet of wall surface.
In the central courtyard of the palace is the temple dedicated
to Pazhayannur Bhagavathi. In the Coronation hall, there is a
display of dresses and palanquins used by the rulers of Cochin. The
Palace is open form 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on all days except Fridays and
Koonan Kurishu Shrine :This small chapel in
which the Holy Cross stands is in the heart of the busy commercial
centre of Mattancherry. It was on this cross the famous "Oath of
Koonan Kurishu" had taken place on 3rd January,
Jewish Synagogue :This synagogue built in
1568 A.D. was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1662 and rebuilt by the
Dutch two years after. Scrolls of Old Testament and a number of
Copper Plates inscribed in Hebrew script are preserved
synagogue. The synagogue is open from 10 a.m. to
12 noon and
from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. except on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.
Fort Cochin is
situated 10 Km. away from Ernakulam. There are frequent buses and
ferry services to this place from Ernakulam.
Church ( Ph: 217505): This is the oldest church constructed
by the Europeans in India. This Protestant church was originally
built by the Portuguese in 1510 A.D. Vasco de Gama who died in 1524
was buried here. Fourteen years later his mortal remains were
transferred to Portugal.
Santa Cruz Basilica : This Roman
Catholic Church with very beautiful paintings on its ceiling is
situated close to St. Francis Church.
Indo Portuguese Museum (Ph;
215400): This Museum located in the Bishop's House has a good
collection of sculptures, precious metal objects and Vestments
Dutch Cemetry : It is situated near the entrance to the beach, a
short distance away from St. Francis Church.
Fishing Nets : At the entrance of the Cochin harbour, these
nets are a fascinating sight. They can be seen all along the
backwaters of Kerala. They were first brought to Kerala by the
Chinese traders from Kublai Khan's court.
This is a
man made island created from the materials dredged while deepening
the Cochin port. Lord Bristow was the architect of this island.
There are frequent ferry and bus services to this place from
Ernakulam. The Harbour and Harbour Railway Terminus are in this
This is a
beautiful island lying close to Ernakulam. The Bolgatty Palace built
by the Dutch in 1744 is situated here. The Palace was formerly the
residence of the British Resident of Cochin. Now KTDC has converted
it into a hotel. This island is connected by frequent ferry services
with the mainland Ernakulam. Boats to this island start from the
High Court Jetty. Country boats (Machuvas) can also be hired near
: This temple is situated in the centre of the town, near
the Durbar Hall Grounds. The presiding deity is Lord Siva and the
annual festival in the temple is celebrated for 8 days during
January-February every year. The festival is rounded up with the
Arattu procession when the image of the deity is taken for a sacred
bath in the temple pool. A cultural festival is also held with a
variety of programmes of music concerts, Kathakali, etc., as part of
Museums and Art
Parishith Thampuran Museum :
This is situated on the Durbar Hall Grounds on the D.H. Road,
Ernakulam. An Art Gallery is also functioning in the museum
Museum of Kerala History : (Ph:558296)
Located at Edappally, 10 km. away from Ernakulam on the
Ernakulam-Alwaye route, this museum is the only one of its kind in
Kerala. The speciality of this museum is that the history of Kerala
for the last 2000 years is exhibited and narrated with the help of
light and sound. There are frequent private buses passing through
Edappally (Pathadipalam bus stop) where the museum is located.
Hill Palace Museum : (Ph:781113)This is
situated 12 Km. away from Ernakulam on the Ernakulam-Chottanikkara
route. It is the largest archeological museum in Kerala. Different
types of sculptures, collection of rare coins, old weapons,
manuscripts in ancient lipis and collections from the Cochin Royal
family are exhibited here. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
on all days except Mondays and national holidays. There are frequent
private buses from Ernakulam to this place.
Gallery is located opposite Air India office on M.G. road.
Kerala Kalapeedom is located at Chavara Cultural Centre
road.Dravidian Art Gallery is located at Mattancherry.
Chennamangalam : It was the seat
of Paliath Achan, the heriditory Prime Minister of the erstwhile
state of Cochin from 1632 to 1809. It was one of the chief centres
of the Jews in Kerala and there is an Oriental Jewish synagogue in
the old Jewish colony. In the vicinity of the Jewish Colony, once
stood the famous Vaipinkotta Seminari built in the 16th century by
the Portuguese. The remains of the seminary are still visible. The
old Syrian Catholic church established in 1201 is near the ruins of
the seminary. Near the synagogue and the church there is a temple
and a mosque. The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The Jewish
and Muslim cemetries are located near the temple. The existence of
the Synagogue, the Church, the Mosque and the Temple in very close
proximity to one another provides ample proof of the prevalence of
communal harmony in this part of Kerala in olden
The Kottayil Kovilakam, which was the seat
of the Kshatriya chieftains of Villarvattom is also situated near
Another interesting institution here is the ancient
Kunnathali temple and there is also a temple of Gowda Saraswatha
Chennamangalam is an important centre for handloom
weaving and coir making. The annual fair called "Mattachanda"
(Barter System) is held here on the eve of "Vishu" in
Chennamangalam is situated 42 Km. away from Ernakulam and
5 Km. away from North Parur. There are buses from Ernakulam to North
Parur and Chennamangalam is connected with North Parur by frequent
Pallipuram Fort : Pallipuram fort
was built by the Portuguese in 1503. It is one of the oldest
existing European monuments in India. The Dutch captured the fort in
1661 and sold it to the State of Travancore in 1789. This fort is
situated in the northern extremity of the Vypeen island at
Pallipuram. The Catholic Church at Pallipuram is an important
pilgrim centre for the Christians. From Vypeen there are frequent
buses to Pallipuram. Vypeen is connected by ferry with Fort Cochin
Kanjiramattam Mosque : It is
believed that this Mosque was erected over the mortal remains of
Sheikh Parid. It was here that the great muslim saint Baver is
believed to have prayed and attained eternal bliss. The Kodikuthu
festival which falls in December-January attracts thousands of
devotees. The mosque is situated at Kanjiramattam, 30 Km. away from
Ernakulam. There are private buses to Kanjiramattam from Ernakulam.
Veega Land Amusement Park (Ph: 684001): This
amusement park is located at Pallikkara near Kakkanad, 14 kms from
Cochin.It is open from 11.am to 6.30pm on week days and 11am to 8pm
on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
Bhagavathy Temple :
Situated on the crest of a hillock,
this temple is an important pilgrim centre for the Hindus.
Navarathri festival is celebrated here during October-November. Many
prominent classical performances and Kathakali are held during the
festival. The temple is situated 15 Km. away from Ernakulam and
there are frequent private buses from Ernakulam to
Darshan timings: The temple is open from 4 am to
12 noon and 4 pm to 7.30 pm.
Tripunithura was the headquarters of the Maharaja of Cochin and his
palace, the Hill Palace is situated here. Now it is a museum under
Archeological department. Sree Poornathrayeesa temple at
Tripunithura is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and celebrates two major
festivals every year each lasting 8 days. The most important
festival falls in November/December and on the last day of the
festival the image of the deity is taken out in an impressive
procession on beautifully caparisoned elephant.
is celebrated here 10 days prior to Onam (August/ September), the
national festival of Kerala.
A cultural festival is also held as
part of the celebrations. Tripunithura is situated 10 Km. away from
Ernakulam and is connected by frequent private buses.
of Arts & Music : It is situated near Sree Poornathrayeesa
Temple, Tripunithura. Training is imparted in Kathakali, Music,
Paintings, Sculpture and various dance forms here.
Sabha conducts regular performances of Karnatic music in Kalikotta
Udayamperoor : It is
situated 18 Km. from Ernakulam on the Ernakulam- Vaikom road and is
a place of great historical importance. The Roman Catholic Church
here was the venue for the famous Synod of Diamper which was held to
bring the Malabar Syrian Christians under the control of the Pope in
Rome. The mortal remains of the last Raja of Villarvattom, who
embraced Christianity is preserved in this church.
Alwaye : This is situated 20 Km. north of
Cochin on the banks of the Periyar river. A large number of big
industrial establishments are set up in and around Alwaye. This
place is the most important industrial centre of the State of
Sivarathri festival celebrated here during
February-March is attended by thousands of devotees.
Also known as
Crangannore, 50 Km. away from Cochin, this was the premier sea port
on India's west coast. It was the capital of Cheraman Perumals. It
is believed that St. Thomas, the Apostle of Jesus who came to India
in 52 A.D. landed at Kottappuram near Crangannore. A shrine to
commemorate the advent of the Apostle was erected here in
Cheraman Juma Musjid, the first mosque in India is situated
2 km. away from Kodungallur town. It was built in 629 A.D. and
resembles a Hindu temple in appearance. An ancient Portuguese fort
and Thiruvanchikulam temple are also situated here. The Bharani
festival during March/April in the Kali Bahgavathy Temple attracts
thousands of Hindu pilgrims. There are buses to Kodungallur from
Ernakulam. There is no ferry service to Kodungallur from
Cherai Beach: The beach at Cherai on Vypeen island is
situated 18 Km. away from Vypeen. It is a very beautyful and calm
Kalady is the birth
place of Sree Adi Sankaracharya, the great Indian philosopher who
lived in the 8th century. It is situated on the banks of river
Periyar and there are two shrines in memmory of Sree Sankaracharya,
one dedicated to him as Dakshinamoorthy and the other to the Goddess
Sharada. The ancient Sreekrishna temple situated here was the family
temple of Adi Sankaracharya. Adi Sankara's shrines in Kaladi are
open to all pilgrims irrespective of religion or caste.
nearest airport is at Nedumbassery and the nearest railway stations
are Angamaly (10 Km) and Alwaye (23 Km.).
Kalady is connected by
road with important towns in Kerala. There are frequent buses to
Kalady from Angamaly.
Sringeri Matt Temples : Sree Saradamba and
Sree Shankara temples were built in AD 1910 by Jagadguru Sree
Sachithananda Shiva Abhinava Narsimha Barathi Swamigal of Sringeri
Sree Ramakrishna Advaita Ashram : Established by
Swamy Agamananda in 1936, the centenary year of Sree Ramakrishna.
The shrine was later reconstructed on the model of Sree Ramakrishna
Temple, Belur Mutt (Howrah) in 1976 and a life-size marble image of
Sree Ramakrishna was installed. The Swami Vivekanada Social
Library and religious reference library have a
collection of over 8000 books.
Sree Adi Sankara Keerthi Stamba
Mandapam : It is an architectural beauty, being a tower type
construction of about 45 metres in height on an octogonal base with
easy to climb steps. It consists of 9 floors. There is a beautiful
Panchaloha idol of Adi Sankara on the top floor. The important
events in Sree Sankara's life are depicted on
the inside the
walls of the Sthoopam.
Brindavans : An Alter with Tulasi plants
where Aryamba, mother of Sree Shankaracharya was
Crocodile Ghat : Sree Sankara took to sanyasa
(renunciation) at this spot. According to legend, it was here that
the crocodile caught hold of him and Mother Aryamba permitted him to
accept sanyasa and the crocodile disappeared.
availabe at Sree Sankara Guest House (Ph:0484 - 462350 ). Tariff
Rs.100.There is also a Kerala State PWD Rest House close by.
Malayattur: Located on the
slopes of the picturesque western ghats, 52 Km. from Cochin and 8
Km. from Kalady, this is a Christian pilgrim centre and is believed
to have been blessed by the Apostle of Christ, St. Thomas.The church
atop the hill was established in A.D. 900.
accessible by road upto the foothills of Kurishumudy. The church at
the top of the hill, about 2 Km. up, can be reached only on foot. On
the Sunday succeeding Easter, pilgrims visit this place. Malayattur,
situated on the banks of the river Periyar, is also a place of great
scenic beauty, and there is a small lake called Manappattuchira
There are frequent buses to Malayattur from Alwaye and
Angamaly.There is a Yatri Nivas ( Ph: 468180) at Malayattur with
Rs.230 for double occupancy.
Kallil Bhagavathy Temple :
This 19th century Jain temple is located 22 Km. away from
Kalady. The temple is cut from a huge rock and a climb of 120 steps
leads to the temple.
Iringol Forest Temple : This temple is
located amidst a dense forest, 8 Km. away from
Boothathankettu: Situated 63 Km. away
from Ernakulam, this is a good picnic spot. There is a dam here and
in the reservoir boating facilities are provided. Trekking through
the forest to old Boothathankettu is very
Thattekad Bird Sanctuary: 20 Km.
from Kothamangalam on the Cochin-Munnar road, this sanctuary is one
of the most important bird sanctuaries in Kerala. (For more details
see 'Wild Life Sanctuaries of Kerala)